Our High Carbon Steel Drill & Tap Kit for 5mm Screws is used to create internal threading of stainless steel newel posts and railing. A tap cuts threads on the inside of a hole, to accept a 5mm machine screw or bolt. These drill and tap combination produce a very strong and reliable thread.
- Includes: (1) drill bit and (1) 5mm tap
- Thread: 5mm - .80mm Plug Tap
- Drill Point: Cobalt -135° Split
- Tap Material: High Speed Steel
- HSS drill bits ensure fast, precise drilling
- High carbon steel plug taps are ideal for general purpose threading
- Mark holes.
- Secure the workpiece firmly.
- Drill the hole to the correct diameter and depth.
- Apply an appropriate lubricant such as oil, WD-40.
- Hold the tap in line with the hole and turn it clockwise. Try to keep it very straight as you turn, this is important. You may feel the material breaking.
- Every few turns, back the tap out (counterclockwise/anticlockwise) to clear away chips of loose material.
- When the tap has reached the required depth, back it out, clean out chips and any cutting fluid or lubricant, and try your screw or bolt in it.
- Tapping operations create chips. Mask or cover any parts of your workpiece or surroundings that would be damaged by chips, or plan to clean them off when you are done.
- Small taps are extremely easy to snap. It takes about 4 pounds of force to break a 5mm-8mm tap, so be very careful using small taps.
- For very thin material, it may be better to use a nut on the other side. Other options include press-in nuts designed for sheet metal and threaded inserts for softer materials, such as plastics. A good rule of thumb for metals is that at least three full threads should be in the material.
- Take care not to change the angle of the tap, especially at the beginning. You only want to cut one thread.
If you can’t find the product you are looking for, need additional assistance or have any questions, please contact our sales team at (844) 424-0112 or e-mail us firstname.lastname@example.org
We are happy to answer any questions you may have about our stair products, installation or help you place an order.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.